Why so much emphasis on arrangements having to sound good, or to be
faithful to the composer? 'Sound good' is an acquired taste, and in
different ambiances it must mean different things.
  *******************************

  Since I started this thread, let me clarify my original post:

  It's been my experience that most of our "clan" are pretty open-minded when
it comes to musical taste.  Most would agree that arrangements, especially for
school groups, are worthwhile in that it exposes kids to music that they
otherwise would never play - whether the arrangements are Isaac or Leidig
orchestral "water-downs" or warhorses transcribed for Band.  Some of these work
REALLY well for band - almost anything von Suppe/Fillmore, and as another
lister wrote, most of the reworkings by Caillet (L'roi D'ys comes to mind).
Not everything Hindsley did works out well IMHO, but at least he (mostly)
limited himself to things that "could" work well. As a 28 yr. HS Band guy,  I
personally like what he did with Don Juan, however  "Till" just wouldn't ( to
me) be worth the effort - or ink.

  HOWEVER, some pieces just (again to me) just lose their integrity out of
their conceived context.  I can easily understand how Kendall would have
blanched at Egmont for flute choir. (ugh!)  However, as some things might work
for accordians, I have a hunch that Lady of Spain would work equally well for
Horn Choir.  It's not the medium per se that works or doesn't, but the source
material.

  bh in MT (Hey! It's Spring!  Finally!!!!!!)

always stay connected to friends.