I remember reading somewhere that D, Brain used to have his section in the
Philharmonia sit in 'normal' fashion (2-4th, l-r), but that he would sit on the
far right, next to fourth horn.  Is there any truth to this?

hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Has anyone of you ever watched the New Year
Concert of the
Vienna Philharmonic ? I doubt it. Otherwise you would know
that they still sit in this classical way. Why do they ?

It is easier for the first to adapt himself to the section.
But it has advantage & disadvantage as has the opposite, now
internationally used sitting order left (1st) to right
(4rth).

Advantage: the section does less notice your mistakes in the
tutti. You are not blowing into the 2nd horns body. Easier
blending from 1st horns view. Placement on the podium must
be somewhere on the right side, so the first horn can side
next to 1st clarinet or 1st bassoon. Better contact with the
woods.
Disadvantage: As a first you hear the section better, which
is not much fun in many cases. 2nd horn & others blare right
into your ears. In the case of your mistake you have to look
to your left instead of the usual right, to hide your
mistake by blaming your neihbour.

There is a story from Freibergs time in Vienna, illustrating
the bad place for the 2nd horn Otto Nitsch:
Freiberg telling Nitsch (on his left): "Not so loud, please
!", while Leopold Kainz on 3rd further to the left yelled to
Nitsch at his right: " "More, I cannot hear you !"

All depends on the piece & the arrangement on stage or in
the pit. Well, in the pit there are not many variations.
Sitting left will provide more opportunity to have a look to
the stage, when sitting the Viennese way, but the 1st is
engaged with playing more than others. This applies to
regular sitting, where the horns are on the far left from
the conductor. For the Italian setting (all winds to the
right), it is much better with international sitting, as the
1st will sit further away from stage verse the audience,
having an excellent view to the stage, if not placed infront
of the timpani (Zubin likes that !), which ruins playing &
ears. I found the Viennese sitting order very good for the
big pieces with 8 horns, seated in two rows, much up the
stage at the right side from the conductor, as it provides
better contact between woods & first horn and trumpets &
trombones places on the left side up the stage dont blow
into the horn players ears - and the bell, tilting the
sound.