In a message dated 5/19/07 3:04:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

This  brings up some good points. As far as the number of different
F#s  there might be, I'm sure you are on track with that- would you
like  there to be more? : )
The type of exercise you describe is one that  everyone should
experience at some point or other. Even though we  play with pianos
quite often, I think it is still important for us  to be very aware of
the position of our note in the chord and how we  need to adjust it
for the key we are in or just the chord of the  moment. This is
important for melodies as well as harmonies. While  playing a piece
with piano only, you still have to make the chords  and melodies work
the best you can.
Of course this is for tonal  pieces, but most of the best things we do
are tonal. No offense to  the atonal crowd, but it is easier to get
away with bad pitch in an  atonal situation. OK, this a gross
generalization, but in the sense  of players coming up now playing
more atonal music with tempered  pitch, the sensitivity to tonal
intonation has suffered.
At my  seminars I have the players hold different notes while others
move  to change the chord, much as you describe. They are usually
quite  surprised by the results. And there is nothing like a horn
choir  doing something nice and in tune. The "Bottom Line" or "Real
World"  aspect to this is that we cannot assume that the note we may
be  holding for ten bars is going to be in tune for that whole time
just  because we started in tune or because it says we are in tune on
our  tuners. We need to learn to hear what is "in tune" and adjust
appropriately. Exactly how many cents or whatever is not that
critical- the interval or chord needs to sound right.
Tempered pitch is  fine for pianos and an orchestra can get away with
it to a certain  extent just because of the number of people playing
(sad but true),  but for really good intonation, we must study and
practice the art  of staying "in the chord." Each instrument has its
own issues, too.  Ever try to play with a clarinet player who can't
control their  pitch in certain registers? We have many notes to
adjust ourselves,  depending on the situation.
Well, there is a ton more to this, but maybe we  can keep this going.
Sincerely,
Wendell Rider
For information about  my book, "Real World Horn Playing", the Summer

I can see the just intonation for chords but doesn't it get a little
trickier on melodies.  Aren't we accustomed to hearing the horizontal  melody
in
tempered and the melody itself may sound more natural tempered.   I could be
way
off base on this.  Maybe it depends on the vertical vs.  horizontal makeup on
the individual notes
in the melody as to how each note should be played.  What happens  intonation
wise in chromatic modulation - just get the chord right?  In the  tonality,
aren't the main concerns the thirds and sixths and minor seventh in
V7 going to I?

Ron