From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 4:58 AM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Re: pitch, temperament and
intonation

I thought I might get lambasted for saying it but I will
anyways:

Tune to where it sounds good. You should have a decent ear
as a musician so you should be able to tell, and how to get
a decent ear is by closely listening  to good recordings. I
aced all of my aural skills classes and the only studying  I
did was listening to good music. Others had difficulty in
the class because  they never took the time to listen to
music instead of just hearing it or not  taking the time to
hear anything at all.

If you wanted to you could write math equations and do
calculations until the cows come home to figure out if
something is in tune or not, but when you're  in a real
world situation you won't have time to do that and to me
listening to  play in tune is going to correct things a lot
quicker and make things sound so  much better and cohesive
then pulling out a piece of scratch paper and computing  the
pitch tendency in cents. Plus I like to devote some of the
few brain cells I  have to making whatever it is I'm playing
musical. Whether its Schoenberg or  Schubert, there is music
somewhere and it's a musician's duty to play it.

Of course it's always good to study why things are sharp and
flat or why partials are going to be out of tune or how to
tune chords but training yourself to think and resolve an
intonation discrepancy on the spot before anyone notices  it
or before it has a chance to get out of tune is all the
difference in the  world.

I guess in a roundabout way I'm saying that training
yourself to become automatic is a very good thing indeed.

That's just my opinion though. I could be wrong. If I am, so
be it, but I just wanted to put my two pfennings in.

-William