On May 22, 2007, at 10:00 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

message: 6
date: Mon, 21 May 2007 22:24:46 EDT
from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
subject: [Hornlist] Question on playing melodies in a tonality

When one plays a melody, does he hear it tonally, i.e. thirds sixths are played where they are suppose to be harmonically, or is it played piano tempered since that's what we've heard a lot. _PRACTICALLY speaking, what do we hear? What about say major scales and arpeggios, lowered third? I asked one competent player which he played, he said I don't know I just play them.
Hi,
This reminds me of a story about Charles Kavalosky, the former principal of the Boston Symphony, who was also a physics professor before he decided to go for a big time horn career. When he got to Boston, he questioned a lot of the players about their intonation theories and practice and found that most of them had little or no knowledge of types of intonation. Specifically, except for some string players, they did not consciously move thirds or sixths with any intent, among other things (like paying attention to chord changes under held notes). He was rather amazed at that, so I don't think we should be too surprised at the discussion at hand. I think that the fact that this was the Boston Symphony, a great orchestra, shows that people do what they need to do to be good, whether they understand it or not. It's hard to say, in general terms, what we do about melodies and harmonies from a "just" point of view, except to say that the subjective intervals (non perfect intervals) had to evolve from somewhere, and considering the lack of physics experts and machines to calculate cycles per second at the time, i would have to guess that more natural means were used to calculate intervals, like ears, harps and things (plus a few mathematical formulas, I'm sure). A major third, even in a song without accompaniment, would need to fulfill the mood of the song, as would a minor one- especially a minor one. Great masters of singing and other musical instruments probably set the tone. As more people played together and notation came to pass, there had to be conventions established over time. The measuring and establishing of "exact" values for those intervals came later- much later. I agree with others that we, as human beings, have musical wiring built in and things like subjective intervals such as major and minor thirds evolved from what was pleasing or "right" for the mood of the song, or scale, at hand. I'm also sure that there was more to it than that as the Greeks and their counterparts in other cultures were, as we would say, pretty sharp cats. But since most of our western music evolved from song and singing, telling stories, dancing and religious applications, I think it is safe to say that the "piano tuning" came later. So the short answer to your question of how we hear melodies is yes, we do hear them tonally, if you must attach a name to it. I don't think any amount of aural influence can change our inside wiring completely (although i am sure it has some effect). We, as brass players, for example, tend to hear the notes on our instruments where they come out rather than where they should be, at times. We depend on the fingerings and the instrument to make life easy for us. Many players play first and second valve combinations sharp so often that they start to sound "in tune" to them. So the ear can be influenced in everyday life. As has been stated, a tempered scale is NOT natural to us. What is "natural" in musical tonality may vary from culture to culture, but the ability to reproduce pitches is definitely a given- our languages depend on it. A child can mimic a song in a second. How do THEY hear it? It has to sound right. A tempered scale is a mathematical construct, NOT a natural part of our being. Our real world success, i think, comes from a combination of study of the theory and practice of intonation- from the hearing and singing of intervals on up- mixed with a very healthy dose of musical experience and the trust in ourselves that we do know what to do if we learn our craft and pay attention. Compromises and adjustments are made. Just like life itself. All bets are off if you are tone deaf- except playing the piano. : )
Sincerely,
Wendell Rider
For information about my book, "Real World Horn Playing", the Summer Seminar and Internet Horn Lessons go to my website: http:// www.wendellworld.com