My understanding of the matter, from informal research I did a few
months ago, is that Handel changed his name to "Handel" when he became
a naturalized English citizen; hence, "Handel" in English-speaking
countries, just like "handle."  (Continentals probably still use the
umlaut because they don't want to give him up to the English!)

-Christian