I first played with Walter Lawson in 1956, at a summer band concert in
Baltimore. Many times I rode with him to IHS workshops. The understanding was
that Walter would drive, but I had to stay awake. We always talked about the
old days and our mutual acquaintances. When he talked about the intricacies of
horn making and design, I didn't understand half of what he was saying. It was
enough just to hear him talk about it.

I visited Walter when he was in the hospital in Hagerstown, and at the nursing
home in Boonsboro two weeks before he died. He was physically frail, but in
conversation he was the same old Walter that I had known for over 50 years.

He indicated that he had lost some of his taste and that the food at the
nursing home was OK, but that he would love to have some good spaghetti. I
excused myself and proceeded to the Red Byrd, and returned with a big plate of
freshly made spaghetti and meat sauce. He said it was wonderful. When I left he
was a happy man. I am pleased to have that last memory of him.

Phil Hooks