Assuming from your note that your case does not fit carry-on
measurement requirements, and that you have a fixed-bell horn.
Carlberg's advice sounds good if you really, really have to trust it
to those sensitive gorillas who handle baggage.  Some folks advocate
'double boxing' (horn in box with peanuts, then that box in a larger
box also with peanuts).
If it were me, however, and I did not have a flight bag acceptable for
carry-on, I would be 'splitting' my horn (it's a screw bell) into two
different small carry-on's, with appropriate padding added to fill out
the bags.
What are your cellists and bassists doing about this?

Fred

On 6/29/07, Carlberg Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 6:03 PM -0400 6/29/07, sirgallihad wrote:
>I'm going overseas to europe with my youth orchestra in a couple days, and I
>was wondering how I should best pack my horn for transport on the plane. It
>unfortunately will be in the luggage compartment underneath the plane, but
>it is in its hardcase. are there any tricks to making sure that my horn gets
>to Germany in one piece?

I'd put in a box with at least four inches of packing peanuts around
all sides of the case. I'd make sure the bell is packed tightly with
crushed paper and then around the outside of the bell as well. I
assume you have a pressure fit case. If not, more crushed paper time.

--

Carlberg Jones
Skype - carlbergbmug