Bill reports on the robust state of symphony music in
Montana.  It is surprising where you can find symphony
music and where you can't find it.  Two examples:

1) Susanville California (pop. 15,000) in Lassen Co.
(pop. 35,000) has a thriving symphony well-supported
by the community, with a full horn section and a
conductor who composes symphony music (including his
first "symphony"). www.susanvillesymphony.com

2) Northern San Diego County (Oceanside, Carlsbad,
Vista), population 400,000, has NO symphony of any
kind. The closest thing to a symphony is a 24-member
chamber orchestra of a Carlsbad church where I play
horn.

Why does a small rural city like Susanville (in ranch
country) have a full symphony while an urban area in
the middle of a culture-rich area (Southern Calif.)
has none?  I have no idea.  The local paper arts
editor told me that North County residents who "want
culture" drive to San Diego.

Larry