That instrument is a mellophonium, probably in F or E-flat.
http://www.alsmiddlebrasspages.com/mellophone/ is a website dedicated to the
history of the mellophone and related instruments.  Al has pictures and
short histories of the instruments as well as links to related sites.  Stan
Kenton used the mellophonium in his bands in the early 60¹s, but the players
approached them like trumpets (Mouthpiece was a trumpet mouthpiece) probably
should have used a mouthpiece more similar to that used by a tenor horn or a
French horn.  All but one of the Kenton mellophoniumists{ ;- )  } were
originally trumpet players so a war was started, with the mellophonium
section trying to outblow the trumpets, which they could with the trumpet
mouthpiece.  This led to disastrous results in sonority.
    Check out Al¹s web-site and links.
Best,
Ellen Manthe