From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ellen Manthe
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 4:05 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Mystery jazz horn

    That instrument is a mellophonium, probably in F or E-flat.
http://www.alsmiddlebrasspages.com/mellophone/ is a website dedicated to
the history of the mellophone and related instruments.  Al has pictures
and short histories of the instruments as well as links to related
sites.  Stan Kenton used the mellophonium in his bands in the early
60¹s, but the players approached them like trumpets (Mouthpiece was a
trumpet mouthpiece) probably should have used a mouthpiece more similar
to that used by a tenor horn or a French horn.  All but one of the
Kenton mellophoniumists{ ;- )  } were originally trumpet players so a
war was started, with the mellophonium section trying to outblow the
trumpets, which they could with the trumpet mouthpiece.  This led to
disastrous results in sonority.
    Check out Al¹s web-site and links.
Best,
Ellen Manthe