"If you have a horn available to play, then I see little use in
mouthpiece buzzing." - Jonathan West

With respect, I would submit that there are some uses for mouthpiece
buzzing - particularly for younger and amateur horn players.

There is a tendency I have observed, to play somewhat approximately -
without having a clear concept of the pitch in mind - letting the horn
force the right pitch (more or less) with its harmonic series.  While
this works passably well in the lower to middle range, it is full of
danger in the higher ranges where one will find many pitches close
together.  This is not from lack of ability, though.  It may be
laziness, or simply lack of understanding, but when most players listen
to a piece, they can identify poor intonation, and if asked to sing the
same piece, will be able to do so quite readily and accurately (I'm not
talking "Queen of the Night" Aria here).

Removing the horn with its harmonic crutch from the equation while
buzzing the mouthpiece does a couple things.  It will enable the player
to focus on the pitch without other technical distractions.  If you can
hear the pitch, you can play it.  If you can't hear it, it will be
obvious.  Buzzing can also clear up problems with too much pressure or
tension.

I have seen Bernhard Scully use this in a master class to significantly
improve the playing of an already quite talented performer.  I have used
it myself to help my two sons (one Horn, the other Trumpet) with their
playing.  When they are having trouble with a particular passage, I will
have them stop playing and take a moment to first sing it.  If they
can't sing it, then they don't know the music and are just guessing.  We
stop to learn what it should sound like - then, play the piece with just
mouthpiece, taking care to keep the pitch as accurate as possible.
After that is accomplished, we go back to the instrument.  I find that
this significantly improves their playing.

Timothy A. Johnson