Kathy Lowe wrote:

All this is leading up to my question.  Is there
anyway to get this little horn under control without
spending a fortune on a valve job and a lead pipe?
Should I try a smaller mouthpiece, a different hand
position, or should I just hang it on the wall next to
my Olds alto horn and call it a failed experiment?

Kathy,

I have worked on and played a couple of these horns. I currently have one for sale on hornplayer.net: http://www.hornplayer.net/forsale/f6822.html It has many of the same issues you mention, especially relating to the less than tight valve section, but I don't have significant tuning problems with it, PROVIDED that you choose a mouthpiece that fits the lead pipe receiver.

Most older King horns have relatively small receivers. Many mouthpieces will not go in far enough to reach the venturi, and then you get tuning problems, a hard sound, and a stuffy feel. If you find a mouthpiece that seems to work well with it, you may find it will improve if you sand down the shank until it penetrates about 5/8"or so. If you have a repair man do it, s/he should be able to determine where the venturi point is and cut down the shank just the right amount.

Another routine check which may help is to search for leaks. The best way I know of to do that is to flush the horn with water and look for water seeping out of ferrules, valve bearings, slides or cracks in the tubing. Valve bearings and slides can be tightened; leaky ferrules can be resoldered; and cracks can be filled or patched. On old horns, there may be little pinholes, which can be filled with a dab of solder.

Finally, if the horn has dents, especially in any of the tapered sections, they must be removed to get it to play in tune. Single Bb horns are relatively easy to work on, so this should not be too expensive.

Regarding the mouthpiece, if you routinely play a Schilke 32, you may find the 31B will be a comfortable fit to this horn.

Richard Hirsh Chicago