Kathy Lowe wrote:

> All this is leading up to my question.  Is there
> anyway to get this little horn under control without
> spending a fortune on a valve job and a lead pipe?
> Should I try a smaller mouthpiece, a different hand
> position, or should I just hang it on the wall next to
> my Olds alto horn and call it a failed experiment?

If it were my horn and it had that old style King mouthpipe, I would have a
competent repairman ream the mouthpipe to Morse taper 0 and set the venturi
at the proper distance.  There are no modern mouthpieces that will fit well
on the old style pipes and reaming the pipe will be cheaper than a new
mouthpiece.  As far as the valves, have that same good and competent
repairman tighten the bearings.  That is the best you can do without
spending large amounts of money IMHO.  Ruining a mouthpiece shank to me is
not a good fiscal decision.

The Jack Attack!