Some of the free sites do indeed have seperate parts available,
although you have to thoroughly check the quality. You can be
pleasantly surptised, but I remember spending *a lot* of time getting
some Tchaikowsky parts cleaned up for a performance last year. In
retrospect just buying the set would've been simpler.
Unfortunenately the biggest and best organized site, www.imslp.org ,
was taken down by its (student) owner last weekend due to David vs.
Goliath style legal tactics... Read the statement on the site and weep
for the loss of a great resource for all musicians.

Kalmus /is/ Thompson Edition ;)

Also remember that although you can get the score of the New Mozart
Edition for free, using it for public performance is not legal...