I'm sending this to both lists as it seems to have migrated.

Due to many problems over the years with UPS, in particular two that have
happened since moving the shop to NH, Lawson Horns is no longer shipping by
UPS.  The "last straw" was when UPS opened to box to see if the horn  (valued
at
$11,000) was "packed properly" and damaged the instrument when  they had it
out of the case.  They denied the insurance claim since  the box was undamaged.

 We are now sending everything by USPS  Priority Mail.   Horns go by
registered mail.  A bit  more time in packing as all seams on the box must be
over
sealed with  paper tape.  You must take it to the PO for shipment as they stamp

the tape all the way around and it goes under escort to its  destination.
They do not throw the packages as those workers are bonded  and follow
procedures
set up to insure safe handling of valuable items. This  does not preclude
packing the instrument well whether in a case  or bubble wrapped.  In the
instance of screw bell horns without a  case, I pack the bubble wrapped parts
in two
separate boxes.  Depending on the distance, it takes 1-3 days longer  than
regular  priority.  Cost is about half of current UPS rates, including
insurance.  You can also pay more for Express Mail and get it there a bit
sooner.

I think you are taking the same chances with FedEx and DHL as with UPS as
competition has forced them to cut corners.  Insurance is a racket, anyway,
and
only designed for total loss, not damaged goods.  The above mentioned  horn,
shipped from Staples, had "High Value: $11,000" written on the box by the
Staples employee, much to my protest!   The manager at the store said  this was
"UPS policy" and there was nothing he could do about it.  It was  opened after
it left the store, either for "inspection" or perhaps with the UPS  employee
having thoughts of arranging its disappearance.  I  had problems with FedEx
over customs proceedures some years ago in  shipping a horn to France, so I
don't
use them either any more.

I am now recommending to our customers to ship horns in by USPS,  registered
Priority, as well.  If I have any problems with the USPS, I'll  let you know.
So far, so good!

KB

In a message dated 11/17/2007 5:16:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,