American mouthpiece shanks have a different taper than the Alexander ones.
An American mouthpiece will tend to make an Alex feel tight and strangely out
of tune.  It won't go into the receiver far enough.  I had the same experience
when I finally tried an Alex mouthpiece on a 103.  Ahhh!  Since then I've found
that other mouthpieces with the correct shank give the ahh factor too.  The
same thing happens with a lot of other European made horns.  Alexander tubas
have the reputation in America of being out of tune, but the same thing holds
true, you have to get the right mouthpiece shank taper for the pitch to work.

  Orlando wrote:

  I remember struggling with an Alex and then calling my more
experienced uncle for help.  He immediately suggested that I try an
 Alex
mouthpiece, and when I did, it was as if I was playing an entirely
different horn...everything worked.

  1. Re: Lead pipes for Conn 8D (Steven Mumford)
2. Re: C series mouthpieces (Steven Mumford)
3. Re: Re: Lead pipes for Conn 8D (Tim Van Gijsegem)
4. Re: Re: C series mouthpieces (Christopher Fitzhugh)
5. Re: Horn Digest, Vol 59, Issue 32 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
6. Rims, Chops, Airstreams (was C series mouthpieces)
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
7. Leadpipes for horns (Eldon Matlick)
8. Re: Leadpipes for horns (G)
9. Adam Unsworth's New Band Live in concert (matthew scheffelman)
10. Giardinelli Mouthpieces ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
11. repairs in Philadelphia (Mark Syslo)
12. RE: Giardinelli Mouthpieces (Pandolfi, Orlando)
13. Minneapolis Symphony horns in 1940 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])