Having a string bass in the concert or symphonic band is actually not at all
new, but dates from the 19th century-  When band concerts were a primary source
of community entertainment, in many towns and villages it was the only place to
hear the latest "classical" music hits.  The string bass was included because
of the scarcity of tubas, availability of bass players, and entirely my own
theory - because it gave a veneer of depth to the presentation of the music.
[i.e. it looked more like a symphony orchestra]
 It continued as a standard practice, but if you review many 20th century
American band scores you will not find a string  bass, but stronger and more
resilient and structurally important tuba and bass trombone parts.   The
inclusion of string bass parts is recurring, perhaps as a nod to tradition, but
based on my recent educational experiences, because of the lack of student tuba
players, and as a response to a need expressed by current middle and high
school band directors.