As a recovering band director, I find this thread interesting.

Check out the really cool string bass part in Alfred Reed's Russian Christmas
Music (originally for band, now also for orchestra). The part is cued in the
tubas, but it is a walking (almost jazzy) pizzicato line that I don't think
transfers to the tuba so well. In the absence of string bass it is best left
out.

>From the liner notes to Fennell's recording of the Gran Partita  with  Eastman
>on the Mercury label:

"Confusion reigns among Mozart scholars over what bass instrument Mozart
intended to be used in that vital role. The available copy of the autograph of
the first page simply carried the term 'Contrabasso' at the bass line, the
string bass thus becoming the an undeniable element of consideration. Those who
felt the string instrument to be an intrusion resorted to its replacement by a
contrabassoon, which instrument Mozart knew well and used elsewhere. The recent
perfection and general availability of the contrabass clarinet qualifies this
instrument for entry into the confusion."

He goes on to say that pizzicato is indicated so obviously (to me) string bass
was one option. If the bass line in Baroque and early Classical works could be
played interchangeably by any bass instrument, then I bet that it is acceptable
to this piece.

What I thought was interesting was that Fennell used string bass, contrabassoon
AND contrabass clarinet! (though not at the same time) He argues that if Mozart
had the contra-clarinet then he would have used it! I bet some scholars would
take issue with that line of argument.

Cheers,
Steve Burian