I just read in the paper that Jerry died two days ago. I am still in shock, but I wanted to pass this on to our community without delay. I knew that he had struggled with prostate cancer for quite some time now, but had heard that he was back in the Philharmonic playing a month or so ago, so this kind of blindsided me. Apparently, he was playing as recently as the first of December. I initially got to know when he was a student at Music and Art and I was a ringer in a section with him with the Brooklyn College band. He was talented as heck (obviously) and sweet as can be. I was never any closer to him than doing a few gigs those days out in Brooklyn in the mid-1970s, but he was always an inspiration to see as he rocketed to the top of the trade and how he never seemed to let it go to his head.

I hope that others share equally warm memories - I shall truly miss him.

Peter Hirsch