hello, Steve

1) Yes

2) No. If the piece is in Eb-flat major, most of them use a Bb Piccolo trumpet. If the piece is written in the key of D major, they tune the piccolo down to A.

Per Ottar

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Freides" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'The Horn List'" <horn@music.memphis.edu>

1. Do some/many/most professional orchestral trumpet players own trumpets
pitched in C for playing things at concert pitch?

2. Do some/many/most who play Baroque music or other music written for Eb
trumpet own and use an Eb trumpet? I helped a local band director transpose some Eb trumpet parts so that Bb players could play them normally, and they
really did end up being quite high.  I also can't imagine someone playing
the first movement of the Haydn trumpet concerto on a Bb instrument
(although I guess it's possible).

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the digression.

-S-