On 9 Jan 2008, at 5:04 pm, Steve Freides wrote:

Is there a trumpet list similar to this horn list?

Two similar curiosity questions I will ask here if anyone wishes to reply (and please do feel free to reply privated) - I know French Horn players have their horn and learn to transpose on it, and I know trumpet players tend not to be as good as transposing as French Horn players. That in mind:

1. Do some/many/most professional orchestral trumpet players own trumpets
pitched in C for playing things at concert pitch?

2. Do some/many/most who play Baroque music or other music written for Eb trumpet own and use an Eb trumpet? I helped a local band director transpose some Eb trumpet parts so that Bb players could play them normally, and they really did end up being quite high. I also can't imagine someone playing
the first movement of the Haydn trumpet concerto on a Bb instrument
(although I guess it's possible).

Although the smaller trumpets sometimes make fingering simpler and move the partials a bit further apart, just like a descant horn, they don't really make high notes 'easier' to play.

I think you'll find that, if you can't play a high note (concert pitch) on a Bb you'll still struggle with the same note on an Eb or piccolo.

But by all means, please ask these questions on TPIN for better answers
Trumpet Players International Network <http://tpin.okcu.edu/mailman/ listinfo/tpin>

All the best,
Tom