Larry Jellison
Skickat: den 23 juni 2008 19:49
Till: horn@music.memphis.edu
Amne: [Hornlist] Re: Help for embouchure problems

Milton's comment, "But you could have really good breath control and you
could play out your nose", is amusing hyperbole.  If there are others out
there who believe proper embouchure muscle functioning (and to some extent,
embouchure position) is an insignificant aspect of playing well, please post
and explain why you think so.

I know proper air support and control is critically important.  I'm not a
pro nor a teacher, so I don't think I'm qualified to explain exactly what
proper air support and control is; I think the "control" part is very
important, and it would be helpful if someone would explain what good air
support and control is.  Obviously, every beginning player who blows a sound
through a horn is applying air pressure, air flow, and some level of air
control.  Telling such a person to use "air support and control" doesn't
help them very much.

I know what good air control and support is for my playing, but I ask a more
experienced player to step forward and explain it in a way so that a person
who doesn't know what it is can understand it.  Thanks.

Larry