Count your blessings. What you have is a double horn lying in Bb
instead of F. This is quite normal outside of the USA and it has some nice
advantages later on if you should "upgrade" to a triple horn because you can
take maximum advantage of the triple if the double side is lying in Bb vs.
F. So by learning this way now you have potentially eliminated a learning
curve in the future. The other advantage, as you have already discovered, is
that most players cannot borrow your horn.

Loren Mayhew
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
001 (520) 289-0700

The horn  I got after moving on from the school horn was a
mechanical-linkages instrument, which was MADE 'reverse thumbvalve', i.e.
you put the thumb DOWN to access/activate the F side. By the time I moved
onto a professional instrument, I was 'stuck with' the way I'd learnt.
Occasional attempts to go back to the usually-strung thumb valve haven't
been successful, so I've just learnt to love with it. It's actually pretty
useful for playing on the march - I seldom have to play anything down in the

F-side range, so I can just support the instrument. Only problem is if
anyone needs to borrow my instrument, without enough time for a quick
re-string!

FHP