This is kind of a rampant problem in this area as well...not the clarinet
thing, but on the horn.  Here are a few scenarios from the Fredericksburg,
Virginia area (just outside of Washington DC).

Of all of the students I've ever had in this area, only 2 (out of over 50)
have actually known how to use a double horn while over 80% of them have
actually owned it.  Most of the band directors simply tell them "Here's a
double horn.  It will help you play better."  When asked about the trigger,
they simply tell the students (actual quote that I overheard from a band
director) "It's just another valve.  Sometimes you use it but most the times
you don't."

I've had students come to me as seniors in High School who own and have
owned double horns for 6 years but don't even use the trigger ever.

On another note, in marching band, many of the schools use Bb marching
horns.  Well, they hand the kids Bb trumpet or cornet music instead of F
horn music.  I've tried to explain to all of the band directors (with *zero*
success) that the Bb marching horn only refers to the fundamental, they
still play the F parts.  Instead, they ask the kids to learn a new pitch
center and use it for marching season.

Here's another great one - another direct quote that I overheard spoken to a
student:
"I don't want you taking private lessons - the teacher will fill your head
with stuff that I don't want you to know and will hurt your progress in my
band."

Here's another great example...a band director in this area who happens to
be a tuba player (if you can call what he does "playing tuba").  He went
around his horn section (of which I had 3 students in) and took all of their
mouthpieces out and THREW THEM IN THE TRASH!!!!  He then issued them all
gold-plated Dennis Wick mouthpieces and stated that since (some horn player
he knows) plays on this mouthpiece that they should all play it.  (He did
the same thing with their mutes the following year and replaced them all
with Farkas Omni Mutes - or as we used to lovingly refer to them - Mucus
Omni Farts...)

This stuff is clearly worse in some places than it is in others.  It's truly
a shame.

J.