As a proud owner of Garritan and a few other sample libraries, I can tell you that it is in fact a very powerful tool when used correctly. When used incorrectly, it's a monumental waste of time and only a moderate waste of money. The package is designed specifically with the capability of "building" an entire ensemble, not just sampling a single instrument. It works very well with Sibelius and Finale and can be very useful in other similar notation or sequencing applications.

I've heard people try to use it as a software instrument (say for example you're playing a piece requiring piano but you only have a keyboard). The problem is, the individual instruments by themselves don't sound that great without a decent amount of processor power being used for things like short reverb tails or use of multiple patches to create a stereo instrument. All of this adds up to latency so when your pianist pushes a key, the instrument responds 50 ms later. While the audience usually can't tell, your pianist will freak out and probably make a lot of mistakes because of it.

Another "misuse" I've heard from these was where a fellow orchestral recording engineer used Garritan to sample-replace some missed pitches from a live performance. No matter how much you try to masquerade this as a real instrument, you will not be successful. I can hear when someone has added EQ to a track much less reverb or artificial instruments. If I can and my hearing isn't even as good as a few other peoples' in the business, that's saying something.

Moral of the story -
For "real" music, synths just don't cut it (and hopefully never will).
For basic composition tools they're great. As Dan puts it though (only a little differently), nothing beats good ol' instrumentation education.

Tom Spillman wrote:
I know little about the current capabilities of synthesizers, but I would not be at all surprised if software can help. I am familiar with one system that I've been tempted to buy which is certainly used by a number of composers for movies scores, among others, who use it for initial "run through's" for the director.

Here is one such package I've been tempted to buy but haven't for a number of reasons:

        http://www.garritan.com/

There are some amazing (to me!) sample performances on this site.

Who knows? I may breakdown and buy a copy. It is compatible with the notation program I use to facilitate my horn practice.

Regards...

Tom