Steve & Jeremy:

Where did this piece get ist first performance & by whom ???
The tradition in Vienna is a mouth to mouth tradition and I
grew up with the Viennese tradition. If I compare all the
recordings of this quintet I have in my collection, I find
one after the other funnier with the strangest alterations &
sometimes hanging with the printed text like slaves, missing
thus all expressions.

The Viennese tradition (I said Viennese trick !) has to do
with the articulation and with our particular way to
articulate in our mother language - we had that thread years
ago - , a bit different from the other German speaking
"tribes" and much different from other languages. The
language coming next to it is Italian. Open & clear vowels,
the softer consonants not too soft, the harder consonants
not as hard as in other languages. This way influences the
flow of the language, special the tongue. So we "pronounce"
the music.

Last but not least: I own several over hundred years old
printed versions of this K.407 with all the inserts made by
their former owners: Freiberg, Stiegler, Schantl, Lewy -
sorry none by Leutgeb. When I wrote the advise, I did it
from the score & just compared it with the way I did it
manytimes. It was just as I wrote.