Carlberg Jones wrote:
Don't thing clefs. Don't think intervals.

Think in the key. You've got to know your horn very well to do this, but it's no more difficult than playing a part in F.

I think this is also the way I transpose most of the time. Horn parts are just movable-Do solfege. When you see a printed horn part with "C D E F G A B C," think "Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do," then the transposition tells you which key you're in. So for Horn in B-flat, it's "Bb C D Eb F G A Bb" in concert pitch (that's F G A Bb C D E F in "F-horn-speak"). All you have to figure out is which octave to play it in!

I'll admit that most of the time I try to explain transposition to other people like this, it blows their minds.

As far as Horn in H (B-natural), I've tried to convince myself that it's an easy transposition since when every note is a tritone apart from printed, you only have to memorize 6 pairs of notes. Alas, it doesn't work for this brain.

Greg