I haven't done much ensemble playing since I got that Bb single, and most of
what I've done has been on the double.

> I also have a single Bb as well as an 8D.  I
> use either one of them to play in ensembles.  Depending on
> the characteristics of the music, the ensemble, and the horn
> section, I chose one or the other.  Generally, the single Bb
> does just fine with most ensembles.

The Bb single will, I think, be something I use more when I become a better
player.  I'm still spending a good deal of my time playing from the Horner
method book, and it got kind of frustrating playing those exercise on the Bb
single because they're _so_ written with an F horn (or a double) in mind.  I
got to the point where I could do it but, as they say, the operation was a
success but the patient died - I didn't want to keep dealing with the Bb
horn for that material so I went back to the double.  I could say the same
for band fourth horn parts.

> Playing the single F horn, or playing more on the F side of a
> double is good practice;  I play up to 4th line D of the F
> side of my 8D because I like the sound of that D on the F
> side of the 8D (as well as the C a second below).

I play my double up to about the same area on the F side, usually taking
written C on the F side, D on the Bb side most but not all the time, and the
C# however it seems most convenient.  I find myself using alternate
fingerings a lot, mostly because I enjoy playing around with them, e.g.,
that Du Bist Die Ruh in the Horner book - I find myself playing the first
section on the F side of the horn and then the repeat on the Bb side, just
for the nice contrast in color it provides.

> But I also
> use the Bb side of the 8D throughout all ranges if I want
> clarity, quicker response, and better projection.

It is a wonderful luxury to just noodle around on the horn and not have to
be concerned with what's quicker and more reliable and the like.  I confess
that I am enamored of the sound of the F horn.  To me, those notes right in
the middle of the staff just sound so wonderful on an F horn.

Thanks for your reply, Larry.  I've got three nice horns, an F single, a Bb
single, and a double, all of which I enjoy playing; I'm a lucky man.

-S-

> Larry

> Date: 9/25/2008 7:05 AM

7:05 AM