There is a gene for flutter-tonguing as well.  Linguistically termed an
"alveolar flap" or an "alveolar trill", only about half the people I've met can
do it, whether they are fellow brass players or have been in any of the many
Spanish-language classes I have taken.

As for how often flutter tonguing comes up, I know its in Strauss' Don Quixote,
and I've seen it in a band piece or two.  I can't see those rare instances
being enough of a reason to discourage this student, especially since he would
be in good company if the only effect was an inability to flutter-tongue.  I
would say that, unless he can't tongue normally, there should be no problems
with him playing horn.

However, this does bring up the question: given the linguistic name for the
motion, "Alveolar trill,"  will the canon of horn pedagogy have to be amended
to include a third type of trill beyond lip trills and valve trills?

Ben