From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Dawn McCandless
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:09 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Tongue Tied

Have no idea what the medical term is for it now. A young person wants to
learn to play the horn.  He has that extra skin on the bottom of his tongue.
The doctors left it there since it wasn't affecting his speech. He can touch
the back of his teeth and can reach his tongue at least to his lower lip.
Has anybody experienced this either personally or with a student? Will it
affect his playing or slow down how fast he can tongue rapid passages?
Any good advice will be helpful. His parents don't want to let him get too
excited about taking up the horn if it is something that will be
impossible for him. Yet, we don't want to totally discourage him if he will
be able to play regardless of the problem.

Thank You.
DMM