original of all the melodies used?

E.g., #1 is Mozart but I confess I don't recognize it.

One of the Mozart duets is the current Austrian national anthem and is taken from the Anhang (appendix) to the Kleine Freimaurer Kantate, K. 623. Hans Pizka figure this out for me right before I performed it a month or so ago. Can't remember what number it is in the book, though.

#5 - I am assuming, since it's titled "Der Freischutz" that it's from =
the
opera of the same name.

It's an arrangement for two horns of the horn quartet in the Freischutz overture. The original has pairs of horns in F and C. The F horns essentially play the same music as the C horns, and there are only a couple of spots where all four horns are playing at once; so this works pretty well with just two horns. I murdered--er, performed--it the same day as the Mozart.

#6 - I assume it's a Schubert song but I confess it is one with which I =
am
again not familiar.

My copy of this is at home, and GOK when I'll be on the Internet from home AND be able to find the book. One of the Schubert songs--that isn't Heidenroslein--is Der Lindenbaum, which is one of the earlier songs in his (IMHO interminably--I'm not exactly a Schubert fan) long cycle Die Winterreise. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, so I might as well pour a little gasoline on the fire and say that I can't stand the quintet in C with two cellos, either!)

Howard Sanner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]