The conductor doesn't necessarily know everything. In a previous thread I had
asked what "en dehors" meant in Afternoon of a Faun by Debussy. The consensus
was that it meant to the fore. Our conductor had said that it meant from a
distance. When I told him of my findings, he stood corrected. He is a good
conductor, and I respect him a lot.

By the way, some editions of Afternoon of a Faun have wrong notes. If it
doesn't tell you to remove the sardines, err... mutes, there's at least one
wrong note.

Herb Foster