Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 23:08:35 +0100
Subject: [Hornlist] Amahl introduction
From: Howard Sanner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: horn@music.memphis.edu, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the introduction to Amahl and the Night Visitors, just before the
Allegro moderato, the horn is in unison with the cellos. The part ends
on a written D below middle C, which is marked con sordino.

There's very little time (an eighth rest) to get the mute in. I've
tried it several ways: mute substituting for my hand in the open
measures, D stopped, D half stopped, with various fingerings. None
seems very satisfactory.

What do people do who play this for a living? There is a practical
reason for the question (for once): I have to play the introduction in
a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Howard Sanner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]