I have an answer for the lead pipe question that is by far not techical. A long
time cornet player, a member of our band, figured that he finally deserved a
new instrument since his old cornet was getting beyond repair. He bought
himself a much well deserved Bach Stradivarius Silver Cornet with the sterling
silver bell. Even with false teeth this player could play in the stratosphere.
When his new cornet arrived he had to fight with it to play high notes. He
argued with the Bach people because there was no way they could make such a
mistake..... They finally agreed to replace it. It made a world of difference
because he no longer had to fight the instrument and was once again able to
soar with his notes.

Also, I have cleaned a friends horn several times inclusive of taking the
rotors out. I obviously have to play it a bit after cleaning to make sure all
is well. It is the exact same model as mine which is a Holton H179. There are a
few differences between the models besides years. But the differences
are mostly in the length of the sleeves of the tuning slides, etc. They are the
same length but the sleeves are different in how they are made. There is
actually a big difference in how the horns play even though I am using my
mouthpiece. For what ever reason hers is a bit tougher to play clear high
notes. The high notes on my horn are, by far, easier to play.
With all else supposedly being the same, it would seem that somewhere there is
a difference in the tubing. Whether or not it is the leadpipe is something I
can only guess at.

From reading the list, I would say that Lawson knows what they are doing and
would know how to make the special lead pipe for your horn. It might only be a
milimeter of a difference that the horn needs. That milimeter can make all
the difference in the world. He has the means to customize your horn to work
better. More than likely the first thing they do is play your horn so they can
get an idea of how to fit it properly.

If you have the financial ability to have a new leadpipe put on your horn then
go for it. My sons' old Conn Constellation baritone (1960's that we bought
used) needed a new lead pipe because the inside of the lead pipe was totally
rotted. We had to tape over a hole the size of a pea so that he could even play
the baritone. The lead pipe itself wasn't cheap especially since the music
store was lucky enough to be able to buy an original part rather than a new
manufactured one. It makes me sad to know we have to pay more for the repairs
than what we paid for the used baritone. However, the expense will be worth
saving a very good instrument let alone end my son's frustration of the
difficulties it was causing while he was playing the instrument. We will be
picking his baritone up this weekend and I am hoping that the expense will be
worth it!

DMM