In Anton Reicha’s Treatise on Melody, he discusses the aspects of different keys; out-lining the bright keys and the dark or somber keys, suggesting one should avoid abrupt transitions in mood. He goes on to say that on the piano it is hardly noticed, but in the orchestra sudden changes my produce very undesirable effects. Of note to me is his comment about only two keys, one major and one minor. He says: “we don’t have only two keys, we have twelve major and twelve minor keys. each with its own character and particular nuance, which are important for the composer to know and study”