I finally remembered to look at the book I mentioned: The Schubert Song
Companion by John Reed.

"Schubert's instictive awareness of the emotional colour of individual keys is
an essential part of his finding the best musical form for a particular text...
However, Schubert thought nothing of transposing his songs to suit individual
singers, or the convenience of publishers. Moreover, the autograph, where it
exists, and the first edition often differ in key used. Not too much weight,
therefore should be attached to individual examples."

Mr. Reed goes on to make generalizations about each key according to the songs
Schubert composed in that key. I'll quote E major since that is the given key
of Auf Dem Strom

"The emotional associations of E Major are with innocence and joy. Seligkeit
and An die Freude are characteristic, but the uncomplicated happiness they
represent is not to be confused with felicity, or with the the contemplative
joy of harmony with Narture and with God. The songs of innocence almost always
confine themselves to E Major, but there is also a philosophical dimension to
this key..."

He then lists the 36 songs in E Major.

As an aside: Die Forelle the song is in Db major, but is set in D Major in the
famous quintet.

Hope this helps..

Steve