To: <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:49 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] Mouthpiece problem

Dear list,
It seems that i've just run into a problem. I recently got a new Conn 8DS (screw bell). Im in highschool and ive wanted it for a while, so i was very happy. I also got a new Denis Wick 4N (largest cup, narrow rim). I used to play on a Laskey 70G and i felt like i was playing a trumpet (on the schools yamaha that i was using atleast) so i bought the mouthpiece before i got the horn. The 4N makes the 8DS sound amazing with a big, fat, rich and creamy tone, well atleast up until high F. My normal range usually includes everything up to high C. but this mouthpiece makes my tone sound very shallow up till high G, then i cant play anything above that. i figured i better try out my trusty old Laskey to see if i can still hit it. the laskey made me sound so terrible and pinched, and feels so small now, but i could hit a high C and then some. it seems to me that i've gotten too accustomed to the 4N, because of its large cup and rim size. Am i right? should i keep practicing on the 4N until i can strengthen my lips? are there anyways to speed up the process?
Thanks,
Joe