"Snuggly enough" is the problem.

Unless the horn is directly coupled at all points within the case than this
information is sadly not true.  The horn must be truly coupled - all points
receiving equal contact and pressure.
I'm sure you're familiar with the principle of physics which states that
energy cannot be created nor destroyed.  It is merely transferred or
transformed.  If the padding and the case are coupled (by means of
glue/stitching/whatever), then the single point of failure is the horn.  If
the bell is held loosely but the body is firm, then there is a point of
weakness.  An impact will allow the bell to move and not the body possibly
causing soldering joint breaks or other stresses.

I've seen this to be true in fact.  On a college road trip to a concert on
the road, the truck carrying the instruments had to stop short for a dear in
the road.  Needless to say, many of the cases came sliding forward rather
quickly.  Of the instruments damaged were 2 saxes (both in hard cases) and
handful of trumpets and 1 of the horns.  All of these were in hard cases and
all showed signs of impact with the case.  All of the instruments that were
in gig bags were fine with not even a scratch.

Of course, the converse is true as well - in a gig bag, to be most
effective, the padding must be quite thick and dense but pliable.

Sadly, there is no perfect case, that is for sure.

Kindly,
Jeremy