Simon, you are right about the rigid system of education, which is not
only in Japan, but in many countries. Many band instructors around the
world contribute much to this rigid system, as they are lacking most of
the basic instructions themselves, thus being victims of these rigid
systems themselves.

Does it really matter, who got the first valves added, trumpet or horn ?
When the horn got its first valve after or the same time as the trumpet,
the horn was chromatic allready, but the pitches were not equal in
strength & accuracy. So the first valve, more important than others
obviously, was added as a full step. The second was added soon to
correct these inaccurate pitches (semitones), and the 1 1/2 valve was
added finally. As it is used much less than the others (1st valve, full
step is most used), it was added behind the two other valves. The WHy &
WHEN is absolutely of NO importance for students of these rigid systems,
as there is ZERO chance to convince them. They just think about
memorizing everything so they can pass the tests. After the tests their
memory seems to be erased completely.

I also had some students, whom I told to correct f2 by 1st valve when on
the Bb-side & the pitch was flat. Yes, yes, I understand. And it was
mentioned by myself, that this fingering were necessary, if the f2 were
to play very openly & as a held note longer than 1/8. Yes, yes, I
understand. - Sorry, it worked just ONCE & was forgotten the very next
second due to  the inadequate instructions by the rigid system, where
trumpet instructors instruct horn players or where stupid & ignorant
instructors write the study books which become a part of the ministerial
rules about every study of every instrument. If we do not break these
rules frequently, we will end up in the trees like monkeys.

Regarding design, you should remember, what was the old design. The
Uhlmann Viennese of 1824 never had the problem of the third slide
protruding verse the bell nor had the Paris models any difficulty. By
the way, I remember two or three single instruments, where the valves
were assembled as 1-2-3 as 1/2-1/1-1 1/2 steps, but I suspect, that they
had just the slides inserted the wrong way.

I had some students there in my master classes, telling them to adjust
ALL slides, if not, I would not accept them the following day. But they
returned the following day with all slides in fully. When I asked them,
why they did so, they responded: our band teacher said to do so - or my
idol, Mr.xy, has his horn set that way. To continue teaching in such
HOPELESS situation, is "throwing pearl before swine".