To me the distribution of slide lengths mostly is a matter of architecture.
With rotor intruments the longer loops (1st and 3rd) get more space to bend
away from the center, where the semitone slide often is too short to bend.

I have seen photos of rotor flugelhorns, alto horns, and tubas with the
semitone in the first slide loop. To mee these instruments look odd. As I
remember it, they all came out of an older tradition in Southern Bavaria, so
they had some consistence to them.

I never saw a piston trumpet/cornet with the whole step in the 2nd loop. One
repairman told that already the short 2nd loop is so exposed on trumpets, that
one of the most common damages is that this 2nd slide gets hit so hard that the
roundness of the piston casing is distorted. However experienced repairmen can
bend the knuckles and slide back in place only using their hands.

One poster here said that he could not imagine trilling as fast with the index
as with the middle finger. I believe his experience being honest, but I also
believe it being coupled to another fact: on all brasses it is so much easier
to valve trill a semitone than to valve trill a whole step, which many horn
players prefer to play as lip trills wherever possible anyway.

Klaus