Kit, we do not live in the middle ages nor in the time of the Romans nor in
Germany or Austria after WW1, when they also drove on left side. Most
adopted the right side drive, while we horn players stay on the left hand
horn playing, as it is easier to play into your next player (rank wise). But
do not come with the Viennese example, where they sit the opposite way. The
dilemma is there with the second player. Freiberg sitting at left told the
second player on his right side: "Play louder, I cannot hear you.", but
Leopold Kainz, sitting next (3rd horn) on Otto Nitsch´s (2nd) right side,
said: "Do not play that loud, you make me deaf.".

Pictures in books cannot convince me regarding two valved horns with valves
in reverse order, because if the shanks are equal long (see modern
doublers), both slides fit into each others shanks. Nobody can prove, if
this was accidentally or voluntarily. The photographers have no knowledge
about that anyway. We mixed up one colleagues slides on his double. He
looked at his horn because of the intonation troubles, but did not find out
why.

So there is only the musical reason which counts in favour of the rowing 1/1
& next 1/2 step. I have explained that, but you seem not to digest that. But
instead of digesting that, you hang on with unimportant arguments contra my
may-be not full adequate comparisons.