Hi Carl -

I've had the opportunity to play around with the (yet to be released)
version of Celemony that works on complex chords.  It does a fantastic job
on *some* material.  Particularly, it works on a mix where there a few
voices.  When you get to even a chamber orchestra or small ensemble sized
group, the complexity gets to be a little much for it.

I have a few of these tools including "Autotune" (the original voice fixer)
and a few others.  The most advanced and most capable I've seen is the one
that comes with Magix Sequoia (the Digital Audio Workstation I use.)  Sadly,
Sequoia alone is $3,000, but this auto-tuner works great in that you can
literally draw the correct pitch in (I do this with a tablet and pen like
many graphic artists use.)  Many of the other programs either do it
automatically or the resolution at which you "draw" isn't very hot.  I can
honestly say that I would NEVER (for emphasis...not anger) use an auto-tuner
on an acoustic instrument.  First, simply put, I can always hear when this
has been done.  Regardless of what the software does to the sound (which,
btw, it accomplishes this by changing the digital sampling rate in
opposition to its reference), most of the time, the slight pitch variance
that is normal on a real instrument is just zapped out or poorly drawn back
in.

In Kendall's example, he was doing it for a jingle.  I suppose the recording
engineer could be spared his life for the travesty of auto-tuning a horn
player, but only this once.

One thing you'll find amongst any of the top symphonic audio engineers is
that all of them (and I do mean *all*) HATE (again, emphasis, not anger) the
phrase "We'll fix it in the mix."  What we do is as much an art, science and
passion as playing the horn.  It's extremely difficult but that's why we
like to do it.  Moving a pair of microphones 1" in a hall can make the
difference between a fantastic sound going to tape or a crappy sound going
to tape (and yes, I mean hard drive for those digital guys out there, but
"to tape" is still the expression :-))  "Fixing it in the mix" is a horrible
cop-out and the sign of a true amateur recording engineer.  We strive to
make the recording sound perfect in the same way that us as horn players
strive to make the performance perfect.  Of course, perfection, in the ears
of the musician, is always subjective.

Cheers!
Jeremy