Quoting Jeremy Cucco:

In Kendall's example, he was doing it for a jingle.  I suppose the recording
engineer could be spared his life for the travesty of auto-tuning a horn
player, but only this once.

Well, and it's also a jingle, not Op. 131. I'd go with fast, cheap, and expedient on a jingle, too.

One thing you'll find amongst any of the top symphonic audio engineers is
that all of them (and I do mean *all*) HATE (again, emphasis, not anger) the
phrase "We'll fix it in the mix."

Not a problem when you record everything direct to two track! <g>

"Fixing it in the mix" is a horrible
cop-out and the sign of a true amateur recording engineer.

It can also be a reality of the budget, if it's a commercial recording with all involved, including the players, being paid.

We strive to
make the recording sound perfect in the same way that us as horn players
strive to make the performance perfect.  Of course, perfection, in the ears
of the musician, is always subjective.

Which doesn't make this any less our goal.

Howard Sanner
hornl...@terrier.ampexguy.com