Luke Zyla writes:
"About oiling the valves.

There are only two bearings on rotor valves.? The rotor surfaces do not touch
the sides of the valve casing, so it in not necessary to oil inside the valve.?
Adding oil inside the valve only creates a mess that must be cleaned out or
diluted by adding more and more oil.? Start by removing the valves and clean
them well.? Oil only the bearings upon reassembly.? Your valves will work
quickly and need only very occasional oiling on the top and bottom bearings.?
Heed Hans' advice and stop over oiling your valves.
CORdially,

Luke Zyla"

Boy, Luke, I couldn't disagree with you more on your advice.  To me, the oiling
of your horn is less for the sake of providing lubrication on the thrust
bearings, but more for PROTECTION from Red Rot.
It is when the moisture comes in contact with the Zinc in the brass of your
horn that the horn can become more susceptible to dezincification (red rot).  A
thin film of oil not only prevents this, but it also keeps your horn CLEAN.  Of
course, it's also a good idea to provide oil for all parts that come in
conctact with each other, AND the film of oil will also create a better seal
for your valves.
If a player finds that their valves are getting slow - that typically is from
the over use of the Linkage or Bearing oils (under the cap and by the bumpers).

Hans' advice is to stop OVER oiling your valves - NOT to stop oiling them.
But, Luke, your advice might be good for my business! :)

Sincerely
Ken Pope

'Just put your lips together and Blow'
Pope Instrument Repair