Ken wrote:  "It is when the moisture comes in contact with the Zinc in the
brass of your horn that the horn can become more susceptible to dezincification
(red rot). A thin film of oil not only prevents this, but it also keeps your
horn CLEAN. Of course, it's also a good idea to provide oil for all parts that
come in conctact with each other, AND the film of oil will also create a better
seal for your valves."

I believe Ken.  My brother is a retired metallurgist ... I'm not sure how to
spell it, but he's a scientist who specializes in metals.  He told me that
metals are corroded by three main things: (1) moisture, (2)air, and (3) being
in contact with a different kind of metal (such as brass valves inside nickle
silver casings).  A thin coating of oil inside the whole horn is the only way
to protect the metals from all three corrosive elements.  After I thoroughly
clean & dry my horn and grease the slides, I pour in tablespoon or two of
ultra-refined lamp oil, swish it around & around while flicking the valves,
then dump out the excess.  It doesn't melt the slide grease near the valves
because I never pull out the valve slides until it's time to clean my horn
again.  (This is possible because water in the valves of a Holton horn can be
drained w/o removing the valve slides.)

My valves are slick & quick.  If they do slow down between cleanings, I few
drops of valve oil added to the slide closest to the Bb change valve usually
takes care of the problem.  If it doesn't, that means it's time for another
cleaning.

When I bought my first horn, a Holton 179, the music store technician told me
not to oil my valves, only the rotor posts.  I followed his instructions and my
valves were always sluggish.  I got sick of it, so I cleaned my horn with warm
dish soap, water, a brush then dried it, and oiled it well, according to Philip
Farkas's instructions that came with the horn.  The valves became slick & quick
and stay that way in both my Holton horns as long as I clean & oil them per
Farkas's instructions.

So. . . a professional horn player/designer actually knew more about horn
maintainance than a music store technician.  Imagine that?

Valerie Wells
The Balanced Embouchure for Horn