On 2013-02-10 17:46, william skora wrote:
Hey everyone,

As you may know, HOT is currently mapping infrastructure in Mali. In
flat rual areas, there are
some 'highways' (unpaved ground) that are very close to each other (up
to ~100 meters ) that all lead to the same villages or destinations.

Here is one example: http://binged.it/Y2XLqR

We have generally traced these like we have with GPX without satellite;
one average trace of the possible paths (since no one way is really more
important thatn the others). So we would like some sort of tag to add
additionally to not that in addition to being a highway=whatever this
road is not a simple centerline, but rather just an average and you
shouldn't try to follow it exactly (or necessarily expect to be able to
follow it exactly). As Andrew Buck in #hot noted, 'they are useful for
understanding the level of economic development in the area since they
are sometimes caused simply by the lack of someone actually building
road (although in most cases it just doesn't even make sense to build one)'.

Do you have any suggestions of how to tag these ways ?

When working on HOT tasks, I often see these structures tagged as highway=track[1]. This is probably contrary to the primary definition in the OSM wiki as "agricultural", but matches with the more common language usage of a "mark left by something that has passed along."[2]

A more "proper" tagging might be highway=unclassified, surface=unpaved. But I'm not sure that is of additional value as it implies to me some kind of formal road-ness that is not reconcilable with the informality of such tracks.

Best Regards, David

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=track
[2] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/track