Official classification does not seem neither to be directly
transferable into OSM classification because of some kinds of
"arbitrary" categories which couldn't be guessed by contributors.
[...]
> Eric,
> I think your suggestion (primary/secondary/tertiary) is quite ok,
> regarding the accuracy of the available knowledge. In the ratios
> comparison, we also need to take into account the fact that in those
> countries the road networks might not have been fully developed yet. And
> this can explain the lower quantity of tertiary roads, because of the
> low amount of vehicles used for the moment in those areas.

Also, as mentioned by Andrew, the highway=* classification may not be that critical. So I confirm my suggestion to use governmental classification. And it is important to document it. More precisely, to document when we are changing from initial classification. This is what I did (again :-p ) for Madagascar. I took the tables from government :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:WikiProject_Madagascar#Routes
In remarks, I suggested some changes.
For instance, along the Alaotra lake :
http://osm.org/go/nB2NGh9-
Government secondary is on the East part and tertiary on the West part. Indeed, only the West part is paved. So all vehicle coming from South and going North will use the West road (->secondary) and not the East one (-> tertiary).

For the road description (smoothness, surface, river crossing...) I'm waiting for your comment on the part I added to the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mali_Highway_tag#Road_surface_status

For seasonal, even if JOSM is complaining, I like to use it not only for Africa but also mountain pass closed in winter in Europe.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal

highway=* is mentioned as "associated features". It was added by myself after discussion on talk-fr...

--
Éric