From: Pierre Béland <pierz...@yahoo.fr<mailto:pierz...@yahoo.fr>>
Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:41 AM
To: Iván Sánchez Ortega <i...@sanchezortega.es<mailto:i...@sanchezortega.es>>,
Jonas Shorn <shornjo...@googlemail.com<mailto:shornjo...@googlemail.com>>
Cc: "hot@openstreetmap.org<mailto:hot@openstreetmap.org>"
<hot@openstreetmap.org<mailto:hot@openstreetmap.org>>
Subject: Re: [HOT] University Course on VGI and Crisis Mapping - OSM Exercise

As other said, there are no urgent tasks presently.

An other task that I can suggest is in Mali. See
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/150 While this in not an emergency, there is still
a lot to cover with this task. In the context of a Crisis Mapping course, it is
also interesting to look at this.

When we started the Mali Activation at the beginning of the year, we had a huge
area to cover in the Niger Delta and in the more desertic areas north of Mali.
For this Niger Delta task, there is also a challenge while mapping, since
imagery taken at the flooded season is difficult to interpret. Often people
will identify lakes while looking more closely, we find villages and farmlands.

We have already used Kuona, a Crowdsource Imagery Application to locate
villages in this vast area. Villages are either identified by a name or a gray
polygon on the OSM map. This will help to locate villages and trace information
related to these villages. From these villages, an other challenge is to find
roads or tracks connecting the village to main roads.

Pierre