On 11 July 2014 13:50, Kate Chapman <k...@maploser.com> wrote:
> The reason the "Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team United States Incorporated"
> is the legal name and not the HOT Foundation or any other variation is when
> you incorporate a corporation you need to have terms like "Incorporated" in
> the name. This is the case for non-profit or for-profit corporations.

ok, good copy

> Greenpeace when they operate in the United
> States is called Greenpeace Inc, but you don't see people walking around
> calling it Greenpeace Inc, they just call it Greenpeace.

Right, the difference there is that Greenpeace has no parent org.
HOT leverages the OSM brand, which is an Open Community
So HOT is logically the Open Community to do with Humanitarian....
I am very supportive of the creation of a non-profit to help achieve
all the things it can & is achieving, but I don't think that that
entity can thereby claim total ownership of the brand...since this
derives from the brand of the underlying community...

> I think though Heather's point is there are better ways to communicate in
> global communities and maybe just creating another mailing list isn't the
> answer.

Very easy for native English speakers to say...I think we should let
the non-English people decide what's best for them...